Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Appreciation

I gotta give a shout out to all of those amazing people that have surrounded my family with various kinds of support. I wish I could somehow thank everyone by name but that seems daunting. Partially because it would be a long list and also because my memory has giant Swiss cheese-like holes.

My workplace  -- just amazing! They are some of the most positive, loving and supportive people I have ever encountered. They respond when I ask for help and they respond when I am too incapacitated to even know how to ask for help. And let's be clear, these are very busy folks who are not exactly wealthy. Yet they give meals, gift cards, house cleaning, smiles, hugs, gifts of laughter, and so many other things. I can't imagine a more supportive environment.

My spiritual community -- also amazing. They are organizing a meal list and have most of the nights covered the next few weeks. I have some gift cards from work to fill in the blanks. Again, I am so grateful.

My family and close friends -- INCREDIBLE! I don't even have words to describe what they are doing for me.

My medical team of various modalities -- again I am speechless. Dr. Campbell just feels like an angel that was sent here to help me see how this body can finally heal.

It is really interesting accepting all this help. Being a nurse is about helping others. This accepting help is very new to me. This being vulnerable and letting others see what I perceive as weak and flaw-filled, also new to me. When people hear I have been sick for 16 years they are shocked. (I really have been the master faker). Faking it is just no longer an option. Move on or give up. Giving up is also not an option. Maybe "fake it and make it" for periods of time when I must. But otherwise I think this time is about letting go of this need to always be the one in control and "helping" others. It is time for me to be real and open. It is time to heal.

To all those that lovingly offer their support while I travel through this time of intense healing THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment